Thursday, August 28, 2008



So, that "toddlin' town" that I love so much and frequently wax nostalgic about has my first born daughter as one of its newest residents. THAT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!! I should have at least suspected this outcome from a child for whom "Marshall Fields" was among her first words! Sure, share my love for that amazing place but don't leave me for it!!!!! OK, I admit I am truly excited for her and a bit envious of the adventure she is embarking upon. It's been less than a week and she is soaking up the atmosphere and meeting dozens of interesting people. She meets people and makes friends easily. Good for her, slightly anxiety inducing for me. After all, this is the big bad city, you have to keep your guard up right? That's the thinking of a Mom, not an 18 year old who is meeting new people daily who share her interests. In four years of high school you are lucky to find a small handful of kids that "get you" and let you be who you are. Here she is surrounded by artsy types who love the same movies, brew pots of tea for each other and whose dreams are as colorful as their hairstyles.
She has a partial view of the lake which includes the Shedd Aquarium and the Planetarium. On Sunday, Lake Michigan was a dazzling shade of blue dotted with the sails of lucky urban sailors. She will get to watch that amazing lake as it changes colors like her old mood ring. Of course this great view comes at the cost of the ear splitting L train that rumbles a few floors below her window. Funny what you can adapt to when it comes as part of your very own first real apartment.
I deserted the Windy City for a patch of collegiate warmth in the southwest. My daughter has done just the opposite. The old "grass is greener" philosophy I suppose. Adventure is best for the young and fearless. Have a blast Sunshine!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just hope she doesn't talk my baby into joining her!!!!! She looks so cute in the picture but you need to post it in color so we can see the hues of her lovely hair ha!
Miss L, if you read this....I miss you!!!

lorraine pavelin said...

i have the biggest smile on my face reading this!
i have been insanely busy just being out and about meeting new people (people who live in my building, not bums or anything!) and finding new places. i'm so happy to finally be here. When i get the chance, i promise i'll update. I have so much to share already and it's only been a week! I love you guys and miss you all!