Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Having Super Powers does not make you a Superhero


I have super powers. I have the ability to be in two places at the same time. Actually anybody can do this and I bet alot of people do. Trouble is it's not really a beneficial power to have because it often is a result of restlessness and/or dissatisfaction. I refuse to admit to the latter because I pride myself in being a positive minded, glass half full type of girl. (Please refrain from snickering here upon my use of "girl".) It is more like looking at life as it is and imagining your life, very vividly, in great detail, as it might be. Some of us do this because we are miserable with how life has been. (That is not me, thankfully!) Some of us do this because we learn about who we are, what we are good at, what we enjoy, slowly, over many years. (Yes, that is me.)
Trouble is, and it is a good trouble to have, I love too much of my life to throw it over to chase my imagined life. Lest you start wondering what type of perverse, alter ego nonsense I may be imagining, let me explain. I live in an Oak Park architectural gem, or 19th century downtown brownstone, work as an exhibit curator at the Chicago History Museum and have a vintage summer cottage somewhere on the shores of Lake Michigan. My family is here too because I would never give them up for anything. But they are grown, living nearby, leading their very interesting independent lives. They can visit the Lake Michigan cottage anytime they like. My hobby is collaborating with my very talented, film maker daughter on documentaries of historic architecture or Chicago history. I also think I would have been a great set decorator for period movies. Creating all of those minute details, some never really seen by the viewers but employed to give a sense of time and place to the story. (Explained beautifully by the directors commentary in Miss Pettigrew Lives for A Day I might add.)Also daughter #2 figures in some creative way which I don't know yet because she doesn't know yet! Too much like her mother I'm afraid.
But I digress, alot. Back to the super powers...
I guess this doesn't qualify me for superhero status, because nothing really heroic is achieved with these so called powers. Bummer because I think I could come up with a really great superhero outfit that would start with some amazing designer pumps that would be totally useless but look crazy good. A superhero in a little black dress.
Boy this really didn't end up where I thought it would. I was going to get all philosophical about blooming where you're planted, etc. I was really inspired by a friend who is sort of a mess right now, unhappy with alot of things. And I see where he could be, where he probably will be before long. After he shakes off the hurt (easy for me to say) and focuses on where he's going in spite of where he's been. I hope his learning curve is faster than mine because he is very talented and as I've always thought, destined for great things. And great things can be just about anything and anywhere but they start with and appreciation for who you are and the gifts you have been given and the responsibility we have not to squander them. As I always say, Use Your Powers For Good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, such deep thoughts. I must say with all the profound statements expressed here, I'm feeling a bit shallow and pathetic. I guess I need to get a life. I think I'll get right on that....tomorrow.
:)